BookMooch logo

home browse about join login
Forum: BookMooch Discussion
PREV -
NEXT +
MESSAGES >
?

Shipping Books Internationally.

I recently posted the following on John's Blog and realizes it might be more appropriate to post here. I am very upset at the ridiculous increase in the cost of shipping overseas from the U.S. Up to US$23.95 for a pre-pack capable of holding 2 or 3 PBs. While I ramble a bit, I am also interested in any thoughts others have that would allow for shipping books internationally at a reasonable price, say US$4 per book.

John,
I've been a member for a few years and have enthusiastically shipped my "used" books all over the world. I accumulated a lot of points doing that proving that altruism is just another name for self-interest.(Grin)

I am now back in the U.S. and was very disappointed to discover that the Int'l Priority pack has gone up to $23.95. I would ship my U.S. based PBs in a priority pack and could always get 2 and somtimes three in the envelope which cost U.S.$12 or 13.95.

I just posted the folowing on my profile page:

"Unfortunately, thanks to the political football we in the U.S. call the U.S. Postal Service (the service part is an oxymoron) I will no longer pay the ridiculous charges to send books overseas. Last year, a Priority Mail Pack, good to hold 2 or 3 PBs, was US$12.95. In January it went up to US$23.95. In most parts of the world, one can buy new PBs or used HCs cheaper. While this site is more than just a way to get books for a reasonable cost, US$8 to US$12 per used PB book is beyond reasonable. Methinks, I see a business opportunity here for someone far younger than myself, shipping books and other heavy weight items via surface and then re-distributing them at various points using local postal services or couriers.

I feel sad about this development since I made some good Bookmooch Friends around the world by shipping them books from Hong Kong which is still civilized enough to handle surface shipping at a reasonable cost. Reminds me of the song, "Those Were the Days"."

It might motivate some U.S. members if the moochee received 6 points
for a book shipped internationally from there. I know there are other places in the world where Int'l postage is even greater and perhaps these places could be included. Another possibility would be to accumulate books in some less expensive spot like Hong KOng and re-ship them. I wish I had thought of this before I relocated back to the U.S.

Unfortunately as my good friend Dick Gottlieb, President and founder of Grey House Publishers, said to me recently, "I seem to be involved in a dying industry, which may be appropriate as I celebrate my 74th birthday."

Whatever the problems, I hope Bookmooch can continue to be a global organization.

I also hope others who read this might have their own take on the issue, if they see it as an issue.

Ed Hahn
11 years ago

Comments

I just sent a paperback book to Ireland. It cost me $8. As someone on a very limited income, I cannot afford to send books out at that price. I appreciate that I do get three credits per book but sadly, I have hundreds of credits that I probably will never be able to fully use, so I'm not doing it for the credits. When I do request books, it's for my mother, and at present she has enough books to fill a small library. :D

I have always asked overseas moochers (in my profile) to request more than one book to help defray the costs, but most either a) don't or b) request a huge, heavy hardback as well as a paperback, which makes it impossible, also, to send because of the cost/weight and then I have to turn them down for the heavy book and then they don't want just the paperback.

I don't think there's any easy answer, as far as this situation.

Bast
11 years ago
We also are having a problem internationally as having spent just under $78 (for 11 books for which I received credit for 6) on shipping for someone who asked that a 3 for 1 deal extend to them (outside USA) even after I noticed that a couple of these books were already in her inventory and when brought to her attention she gave 0 or negative feedback that is just unreasonable.
While another angel mooched three books and then when we had them on reserve for them they didn’t have enough points.
We understand not everyone is like this yet we can’t justify these kinds of shipping costs or being taken advantage of outside the country.
Miss Daisy
11 years ago
I'm sorry that happened to you, ustude.
Bast
11 years ago
I did look into Int'l parcels and the cheapest rate for two PBs in the new larger format was US$21 to Spain. This is still a ridiculous price, especially since the books brand new price is US$9.99.

Prices vary from country to country, it appears.

Having had great success shipping internationally from Hong Kong, I am trying to come up with a way for moochees in high postage countries to ship Internationally thereby increasing the scope and potential of the entire Bookmooch community.

I may be on a fools errand.

Ed

Ed Hahn
11 years ago
Ed, good luck with that - I do hope you find something, and will keep us posted.
Bast
11 years ago
"Unfortunately, thanks to the political football we in the U.S. call the U.S. Postal Service (the service part is an oxymoron)"

Congress idea of saving the USPS? prefund retirement SEVENTY-FIVE years! ouch

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr6407

Richard
11 years ago
I know. Ridiculous, isn'T it?
Ed Hahn
11 years ago
Wayne,

I have tried to use your math, BUT I can't seem to figure it out.

$2.06 per Credit?

How do you figure?

I send ONE (1) TPB book to GB and it cost me $18.60 (1st class). That's $6.20 per BookMooch CREDIT. At these numbers, international shipping of BOOKS for me on BM is completely out.

I don't understand your numbers. Please enlightened me.

MP

Hercules40 (a.k.a. PapaG)
11 years ago
Today I mailed a softcover book to Spain. It cost me $14.90 A few months ago, I mailed a softcover to Germany and it cost me $10. I don't do this too too often. It's people like me that keep the Post Office in business. I'm not a rich person, I do it cuz I love to read books, and know that they appreciate it. It's that simple....and I like the added points, lol.
Michelle
10 years ago
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add my $0.02. I recently had a mooch request from someone in Austria, and to send two textbooks, it's going to cost me a minimum of $52.00. That's just too expensive. I feel there should be a better option. Has anyone come up with any ideas for shipping internationally from the US? UPS and FedEx were even worse, in excess of $100. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Linux O'Beardly
8 years ago
You're completely right of course, and there are NO OPTIONS. The only other thought I had was this:

- Can we, ALL OF US I mean here at BM and elsewhere, advocate the US Postal Service for an international Media Mail rate?

Of course, the answer will probably be "no", since we're a very small customer base, but I have had this thought now for a few years, and I wanted to share it with you all.

8 years ago
Alternatively of course, we could get MORE points for shipping internationally from the US.

Additionally, the people in Canada have been complaining for years about the cost from there.

And so on...

8 years ago
There used to be a book/media rate for sending internationally and the USPS got rid of it a few years ago. I seriously doubt that they will ever make it available again - I bet that they were running it at a loss and just couldn't afford to do that anymore.

I honestly don't find USPS rates that egregious. They are much higher than they used to be, yes, but so are the costs of fuel, planes and trucks, labor etc. UPS and FedEx are even more expensive in most cases, which suggests to me that that is what it costs to send packages across the country or the world these days. The USPS is not funded by taxes or anything, and has to pay its own bills and make ends meet just like any other business.

I'm just glad that USPS still has the option of media mail within the US, because books are heavy and the non-media package rates would be hefty indeed. Fingers crossed that they don't get rid of it anytime soon.

LauraTS
8 years ago
Int'l mail has been very expensive in Western Europe for a long time. Same with Australia and New Zealand. Many Asian countries, Hong Kong included where I lived for 20 years, had a surface mail rate that was much cheaper than air mail. It sometimes took 6 weeks or more for the books I sent to get to their destination but I would warn the moochers and it was never a problem. That's how I accumulated all my points. It was cheaper for me to take a book to HK from the US and mail it from HK than to mail it media rate here.

i fear that the world-wide aspect of Bookmooch might be endangered and even the domestic exchange as Media Mail keeps going up and up. I can go to Goodwill or a used book store and often get a book cheaper than it costs the sender if I mooch it from someone. I recently did that with a DeMille title, I had mooched but saw at the Goodwill for $2. Overseas it's a given that the moocher can buy the book for about what it would cost to mail it. Add e-books and libraries to the mix and you can see that we in Bookmooch might be living on borrowed time.

We had better enjoy it while we can.

Ed Hahn
8 years ago
I went to price shipping a very small item (smaller than my palm) to Spain this morning and was told that it would have to go priortiy if I wanted any insurance on it, and cost the cost would be $49.50 (and still take 6 - 9 business days)!!!
selkie
6 years ago
I mailed a CD (disc in a paper sleeve) and it cost me $13.50 to ship it via first class international.
Bast
6 years ago
For some reason I can't make a comment more than a couple of lines before the enter button disappears =S but I have to click it to be able to extend any comment. Something wrong with the text fields on BM lately?

Anyway... Royal Mail has grown so expensive here in the UK that it's often cheaper to buy a secondhand copy for someone on Amazon than to send my own duplicates in the mail, now. And that's profoundly depressing, not to mention frustrating since it more or less negates the point... I had a book returned to me by RM a couple weeks ago that said I hadn't paid enough on postage - wanted a total of £4.50. For a small, mass-market-sized paperback, from Manchester to London. Not even international mail.

I've started to use courier services in some instances. It often proves cheaper than Royal Mail - or USPS either, according to my American friends. Sigh.

Tria Lynn
5 years ago
Similar problem here in the US. Not as bad
I stopped shipping internationally.
Sad!
Ed Hahn
5 years ago
Very new to this and have shipped out about 6 books - however - I have requested two books and have had NO luck getting ANY response from the owners. So this is how it works? I list some books, dutifully and securely wrap, mail immediately and leave nice, nice feedback but when I request a book - NADA, NOTHING! No response.

What am I doing wrong?

Dorothy
5 years ago
You're doing nothing wrong.

First, check the experience of the person you are mooching from. It could be they have quit bookmooch but not officially quit. The last time they were on the site is there in the list of owners. I never mooch from anyone who hasn't been on the site for a month or more.

Second, If they are still active, after a week, send them an e-mail message asking for a response. If they do not respond to the e-mail, report them.

I had a couple of similar problems, early in my membership so I became much more selective as to who I mooch from.

Good luck

Ed Hahn
5 years ago
dorothy,
I do believe you need to wait a little longer than 4 days for an answer, as sometimes we in the states are ahead of those overseas just like Tokyo is 7pm,wed and here in austin, usa is 9am on thurs.

Time in Tokyo Time in Austin
09:23 AM
Thursday, August 23, 2018

Tokyo time zone: UTC+09:00 or JST 07:23 PM
Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Austin time zone: UTC-05:00 or CDT

Miss Daisy
5 years ago
Dorothy,

Also some Bookmoochers may only be able to check their email every once in a while.

I try to reply quick saying I will send a book but not everyone can.

Bast
5 years ago
Hello~
I have been a member for several years & never had any problems with bookmooch. However recently once a book is shipped & acknowledged by receiver the book is not coming off my inventory causing the book to be requested again. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Also I’m trying to clean up my inventory today because of this problem & having difficulty listing books. Not sure why all of a sudden I’m having issues with my account. Just wondering if this has occurred to anyone else? Would love some feedback.
Thanks in advance
Sarah
sarah
5 years ago
Hello Sarah!

I am having problems adding books to my inventory too and this is since last Friday. I also have occasional problems with books not coming off my wish list once I mark it received. I have to remove it manually. I think the listing issues could be due to amazon. I hope this is resolved some time.

Jessy

Jessy
5 years ago
What is the difference between "books given" and "books mooched"? And why - when I cancelled a request that was completely ignored by the owner - I had -1 listed to my account? I have waited several weeks for a couple of books and given up and cancelled. So far this is only working one way - I send books - that's it!
Dorothy
5 years ago
Books Given are ones you've sent that have been received.
Books mooched are books sent to you and received.

When you canceled you should have gotten points back Are you sure that didn't happen? Check your points analysis on your member home page.

If that isn't happening, you can e-mail Bookmooch and ask what's going on. You'll find the link on the About Bookmooch link.

Good luck,

Ed Hahn

Ed Hahn
5 years ago
I don't know where else to post this. For the past week I can't add to my inventory. I enter the name or ISBN and nothing happens. I've got a big pile of books I want to list. What's going on?
Lisa Wenner
5 years ago
Lisa,
This seems to be a problem that has been going on for a couple weeks. I’m not sure who to contact either. I posted about it on here last week and another person replied they are having the same problem. Hopefully it gets resolved soon
Sarah
sarah
5 years ago
I too have had this problem but if you go to adding them manually - you can post them even though it will tell you it has it listed in amazon - if you enter anyway it will post in your inventory. I do think it a pain but it is a way to enter them
Miss Daisy
5 years ago
I've had a problem entering using the 13 digit isbn but no problems adding if I use the 10 digit isbn (I use the isbn converter online)
Britt
5 years ago
Hello I'm having a problem trying to add books. Everytime I try, Bookmooch tells me the title is not on Amazon, then I try to add it manually, it says it already exists and that I should add "that book", with alink to it. So I click on the given link that brings me to nowhere. Eventually an empty space is added to my list, referring to ...no book. What's going on here? Can U help me? thanks
catera99
5 years ago
check the extension to see what it is and that will tell you why.
Miss Daisy
5 years ago
Sorry, I don't understand what you nean by: "check the extension to see what it is and that will tell you why."
I cannot add any book anymore.
Even books that exist on Amazon don't show off as existing books to be added, and I cannot add them manually either for the reasons explained above.
Is this site dying?
catera99
5 years ago

Write a comment

Join this forum

Receive this thread by email

Security check: type the name of the author displayed in the image below

SAVE YOUR COMMENT >