BookMooch logo

home browse about join login
Forum: BookMooch Discussion
PREV -
NEXT +
MESSAGES >
?

Browsing in topics

I'm on the lookout for cookbooks, however, I'm after books from the last 8-10 years or so, no older.

If I SEARCH specifically for "cookbook", then I am largely missing out on those books that don't have "cookbook" in their title.

If I BROWSE the "Cooking, Food & Wine" section, I end up with a whole lot of old and irrelevant books (since when are Patricia Cornwell and John Grisham cooking, food & wine authors??). I can't seem to narrow my browsing to certain publication dates the way that I can with a specific word search, or browse through a list of relevant books within a topic.

Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Diana
10 years ago

Comments

No, not really. Browsing within Bookmooch is an exercise in futility. The database is so full of nonsense (like Grisham in cookbooks). Your best bet is to use the search through Amazon field from the browse tab, and then quickly scan down the page looking for ones that are available. You will, at least, find a few things to add to your wishlist. It would be great if we could do a search through Amazon and then filter for books that are currently available on Bookmooch. You could also post a message in the A book search among friends forum. Someone may have the kind of cookbook you are looking for sitting on a shelf!
Cara
10 years ago
Thanks, Cara. That is very helpful. I hadn't tried an Amazon search yet. I may also give the forum a go :)
Diana
10 years ago
You could also try the advanced search, you'll be able to specify a date range for when the books were published e.g 2004 -2014.
kathers
10 years ago
Thanks Kathers, I have tried that. My problem is that if I want to limit by publication date, I need to enter a search term. Given that I just want to see cookbooks in general, I don't want to limt my search with a search term - I just want to browse through a topic and limit that by publication date. Seems as if it isn't possible.
Diana
10 years ago
Maybe you could try any other book search engine online, like google books or any other, take note of the ISBN numbers in a text file and feed these ISBNs to the search function of BM (you can give an HTML or text file to BM to look for in the Import section of the search page).
Sébastien
10 years ago

Write a comment

Join this forum

Receive this thread by email

Security check: type the name of the author displayed in the image below

SAVE YOUR COMMENT >