BookMooch logo

home browse about join login
Forum: BookMooch Discussion
PREV -
NEXT +
MESSAGES >
?

Library mooches

Over the years that I have been a BM member, I have relieved a few mooch requests from libraries. I recently was able to get a book that is high in demand. I received a request from a library for this book. My concern is that by sending this to a library, I have put Tia book out of circulation. Does anyone have opinions on this? My thought is that these requests from libraries go against the spirit of this swaping website and should not be honored.

Kelly
9 years ago

Comments

I personally would not honor a request like this BECAUSE I work at a library. I suppose it's possible that this is just a very underfunded library and they really need the book for circulation, but every library has a book budget that they SHOULD be using to buy new books... my thought would be that this book is just going to end up being sold someplace. My only exception might be if it was a very hard to find out of print book... and if I knew FOR SURE it was going to a library and not someone posing a library or a library book sale.
Elia
9 years ago
Believe it or not Elia, there are some Libraries on BookMooch because they are WAY underfunded. I volunteer at my local library, and we found out that their budget for buying books in 2015 was cut to zero. So, how are they going to procure books? Through donations. And many times, I have found a book they wanted in incoming donations. Now, if it's a super-popular title, with wide circulation, they might want another copy OR there might be something fishy going on.

Personally, I have previously sent books to BM Charities and to BM Libraries. Doing so, you still get the points. SO, I would not understand the issue with not wanting to send a particular book.

Hercules40 (a.k.a. PapaG)
9 years ago
If you put books up for mooch, you should send them and not be concerned about the book being reposted or not. Libraries got their points somehow, right? They mailed out books that they removed from circulation or the points came from a donation, so the donor had to mail a book to someone who needed it.
If I mooch a book, I may or may not repost it to BM. I may give it to someone else or I may keep it for myself. There is nothing that says books have to be reposted, spirit or otherwise.
Sarah
9 years ago
Better surely. More people will borrow and return whereas an individual may read and keep the book.
donna
9 years ago
I work at a high school library and mooch books for my library. I have a very small budget for purchasing books, but a very long wishlist of books I'd like to see added to my library's small and outdated collection as well as a long list of books requested by my students. The points I have are mainly from mooching my own personal books with the addition of a small number of discards from my library. I pay the postage myself.

Personally, I'm honored if a library requests one of my books since that means it has an opportunity to benefit and be read by more people. I don't understand why someone would reject a request from a library, and I disagree with Elia -- I don't think libraries are mooching books to sell them. I don't see how that's cost effective.

April
8 years ago
I agree April. I love when books I send will be used to supplement a smaller library's or school's acquisition budget. I have mooched books for students and teachers at schools I have worked at (including a novel study set) and for my church school. My wish is only that the books I send find a good home with someone who appreciates and loves books as much as I do. If they go to a library of some kind the book will reach even more readers.
Cara
8 years ago
My opinion is that if sending it to a library means that someone will read that book, then go for it. Encouraging reading is a good thing in my opinion. I sincerely doubt that they are bothering to request books to sell. Again, just my opinion!
Bast
8 years ago
My library holds a book sale twice a year and I often buy books for posting on Book Mooch. At a quarter for a paperback and a buck for a hard cover (both free after 4 days of the sale), my budget allows me to get a wide variety of books I think people are looking for, often recent ones that people never pass on. I'm in a small town and these sales supplement the library's book budget, so I'm at the sale when it opens as well as at the end. I tried going through your wishlists so I could keep my eyes open at our October sale, but they were just too long. If any of you want to email me your top 10 or 20 most wanted, I'll be happy to search
Genie
8 years ago
Please help. I posted about my library sale 2 months ago. I got a list of books from someone (which I printed out), but can't find the email in my g-mail box. The sale is Saturday, and just in case I find any books I won't know where to send them.
Genie
8 years ago
Genie, you should go up to the pull down menu on the forum and select create a new message and post a message with a heading that you are looking for the person who emailed you about the library booksale. You are more likely to get the person to see the message than if you reply to an older post.
Cara
8 years ago

Write a comment

Join this forum

Receive this thread by email

Security check: type the name of the author displayed in the image below

SAVE YOUR COMMENT >