home browse about join login
Forum: BookMooch Discussion
PREV -
NEXT +
MESSAGES >
?

ebook sharing

Hello,

Can we start an ebook mooch section where people can share their books via the kindle app?

Denise
10 years ago

Comments

I think there is a restriction on the area (a bit like the region code of DVDs and Blu-Rays) that prevent certain e-books from changing countries. I can't remember, but I recall the subject was discussed before and another reason poped up.
Sébastien
10 years ago
I've found something digging in the forum. It's written directly by John Buckman, creator of BookMooch. Here it is :

re: swapping ebooks, cds, DVDs BookMooch will always be a book-swapping site. I have zero interest in doing a DVD or CD audio swapping web site. Those physical formats are much more dead than books are, and > there are good web sites already out there that help people swap CDs and DVDs. As far as ebook swapping goes, Amazon "sort of" permits it, but Amazon has shut down several ebook swapping sites that tried to make it work, because publishers freaked out. Because of DRM on the ebooks, and piracy worries, I don't think ebook swapping is going to happen unless Amazon does it themselves. Given that Amazon has a patent on selling used ebooks http://www.nextmedia-source.com/frame.php?id=7679874 this might actually happen.

Sébastien
10 years ago

Write a comment

Join this forum

Receive this thread by email

Security check: type the name of the author displayed in the image below

SAVE YOUR COMMENT >