BookMooch logo

home browse about join login
Forum: BookMooch Discussion
PREV -
NEXT +
MESSAGES >
?

recently changed my address to a foreign country

and altho i plan to send books out, i want to make sure i get credit for this, if possible, so should i reject what i have in my pending that does not register as being mailed from a foreign country?thanks?my email is tohealth18@yahoo.com, focused fox.

focused fox
10 years ago

Comments

I find this question quite interesting as, in a few months, I'll go to my in-laws', who live in another country, for 2 to 3 months and I was considering to mooch a few books to be sent there instead of filling my luggage with too much weight in books to read while I'm there (you can imagine the amount of luggage I'd need to stay abroad for 2-3 months !).

I wonder if anyone has had experience on changing address in bookmooch, be it temporary or permanent, and would like to share their thoughts on the matter.

Sébastien
10 years ago
I think you will need to ask admin directly and they are not likely to answer a forum post. You can use the Report Abuse link on any profile (it does not have to be abuse). You have already received the points from the mooches and I doubt you hitting mail would change the number of points you get. Ask the admins to be sure, though.

If you are now in the same country as any of your moochers, I would suggest giving them the 2 points per book back if your postage is lower.

Sarah
10 years ago
First, you should delete your email address from your message since you shouldn't post email addresses in forums (good way to get spam). Second, can you mail them before you leave? Otherwise, I would reject, explaining that you are leaving the country suddenly with no time to mail before you go. Depending where you are going and coming from it could be as cheap or cheaper to mail from the new country however.
@Sebastian go ahead and change your country on your profile page (you could drop a note to the tech folks just letting them know you are doing this and why). There are a few members (our esteemed founder among them) who spend part of each year in another country. If you want to change your country just prior to your departure so you can mooch some books from the country you will be living in so they arrive at your new address when you do I am sure that would be fine. You are not asking anyone to mail internationally for only 1 point.
Cara
10 years ago
Good advice, as always, thanks a bunch Cara !
Sébastien
10 years ago
thanks for telling me to remove my email address, i am not as familiear with the point system and so i have no clue about giving someone back their points, should'nt they be giving me extra points since i am mailing from further away?
focused fox
10 years ago
No, they should not give you extra points because when they mooched them you were in the same country. Only mail them from the new country if they will be the same, or cheaper, as from the original country. If you can't mail before you leave, then cancel the mooches. They will get the points back when you cancel. Explain in your cancel message that you are leaving the country and why you can't mail before you go.

If you ever need to give anyone extra points, you can go to their bio page and click the "smooch" button on the right. That will give them 1 point. You can also use the charity feature. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and enter the member's BM ID.

Cara
10 years ago
Any one who mooched from you when you were in the same country only paid one point for the book. They may not be willing to pay three points now that you are in another country.
Sarah
10 years ago
thank you for the clarity,
focused fox
10 years ago
several books were once on my inventory then on my pending to go out and now they are nowhere (getting things done and tibet)and so am still going to send them, then 2 books (7% solution and ethics)were requested and so i removed them from my inventory to send them, what am i doing wrong, please?also, someone requested 1st day of school and cannot find the request on my email or on bookmooch website?
focused fox
10 years ago
Some of those "requests" could have been ask first requests rather than mooch requests. If the moocher was from another country and clicked "asked first" then the book is reserved for them, but still in your inventory and would not show up in your pending. If you remove them from your inventory, the reservation would disappear, and unless you kept a copy of the initial request email, there would be no record of the request. Bookmooch does not store "ask first" request information on the site. If you get an ask first request, you do not remove the book from your inventory. You accept the request and the requester mooches the book, which removes it from your inventory for anyone else to mooch. You have no rejections on your account, so I suspect the books were not mooched (you did not receive points for them). I suggest you mail the books that are in your pending which have been mooched and for which you have received points. Be sure to mark them sent from your pending page. Then you can put the other titles back in your inventory when you are ready to start mailing more books.

If you are not finding emails, check your spam folder,
Hope that helps

Cara
10 years ago

Write a comment

Join this forum

Receive this thread by email

Security check: type the name of the author displayed in the image below

SAVE YOUR COMMENT >