BookMooch logo

home browse about join login
Forum: BookMooch Discussion
PREV -
NEXT +
MESSAGES >
?

People sending tracts and business info with books

What are the thoughts on people sending religious tracts etc with books? I've received tracts once before and mentioned it in the rating. I marked a book received yesterday and upon closer inspection today it was filled with scentsy order forms. Sigh. Its just annoying. I don't send my mooches with my testimony tracts, because its disrespectful. That's all, just a vent.

Megbomb
2 years ago

Comments

Depending on the postal system, adding extra stuff that could be construed as advertising could cause the package to be stopped by the post office. I don't object to extra stuff in the packages unless there is a smell which could transfer to the book. I just recycle anything that I am not interested in and thank the moocher for the bookmarks, postcards, recipes or whatever that they sent if I like them. In terms of religious or political material, I might make a comment in the feedback to warn others who might mooch and who might be upset by such material, and possibly inform abuse if the material seemed particularly offensive (extreme or hateful). The latter case hasn't happened in my over 2000 transactions so I'm not too worried. Any literature aimed at improving my soul I take in the spirit it was given (even though I am quite content with the state of my soul) and recycle. Some people's religious beliefs require evangelicalizing at any opportunity. My religion allows me to be tolerant and ignore them.
Cara
2 years ago
Anyone considering sending me unwanted material about their invisible friends in the clouds should not expect leniency!
Steve
2 years ago
It was just a question =) You took the time to.complain about my complaint so I guess we're even now.
Megbomb
2 years ago
"Do not include any extras that are religious in nature because that is against the rules." - BookMooch MoochWiki's Newbie_Page. Besides, neglecting to challenge them may save energy but encourages them to think no one objects to them spreading their silly superstitious nonsense.
Steve
2 years ago
I hit the "Abuse" button when I got religious tracts.I had not looked at the details of her feedback but after I received this I checked. The person's feedback was full of comments by people saying they didn't appreciate receiving this type of religious stuff but she ignored and kept sending. She had been asked many times to stop so I just reported her. I really get irritated with this kind of thing, too. Stay out of my space with this crap is actually what I think lol.
Denise
2 years ago
I have to say I am Megbomb. I just throw the stuff away, but I do find it kind of annoying. But I think she specifically mentioned scentsy order forms. I REALLY wouldn't want anything scented being thrown in with my books - I am very sensitive to perfumes and strong scents. Now if someone wants to slip a few $100 bills into my books, be my guest. But I just find it really wasteful to send along stuff that it most likely going to get thrown into the trash or recycling. All that being said, I rarely find anything other than BookMooch cards or bookmarks, or sometimes a nice note, added to the packages.
bookarts
2 years ago
Luckily I don't think the.order forms were scented.
Megbomb
2 years ago
Ahhhh - I thought you meant they were scented. Glad they weren't, because that would be obnoxious :)
bookarts
2 years ago
No scentsy is like Avon,only candles and stuff.
Megbomb
2 years ago
And the other side of the coin...
I've sent out over 1000 BM cards with my business letters.
jacquie
2 years ago

Write a comment

Join this forum

Receive this thread by email

Security check: type the name of the author displayed in the image below

SAVE YOUR COMMENT >