BookMooch logo

home browse about join login
Forum: BookMooch Discussion
PREV -
NEXT +
MESSAGES >
?

Mailing Magazines

Hey everyone! I was just curious how do you mail magazines? I never realized before that magazines could not be shipped media mail. And having done so many times was amazed when a magazine I had mailed came back to me from the USPS. Besides the fact that it is too late for a refund which was worth $2.46 to me and now I have paid another $3.45 to mail the darn thing First Class I am completely frustrated! So for all you who mail magazines how do you do it - or what is the cheapest way to make it worth your while?! Thanks!

Cheri
13 years ago

Comments

I was told by my post office that according to US Media Mail listings that books of any kind are the ONLY allowable media mail. They read the letter they have to me. DVD, magazines, CDs etc are not part of what they say are considered Media mail.

What they told me to do with magazines is to get the flat rate shipping box and send as many as I can in that box. However the flat rate shipping is a minimum of I believe 4.50. Now I have heard other people on BM say that their post office allows movies etc to be shipped as Media. But according to my post office all media mail is subject to inspection and therefore if opened and found to be other than what is allowed it will be shipped back to you and you will be charged additional fees. So I just tend to ship books only.

Ozrkgirlie
13 years ago
According to the USPS website:
"Media MailĀ® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books. The maximum weight for Media Mail is 70 lbs."

If they suddenly aren't allowing CDs and DVDs anymore, it is something new, and it isn't reflected on their website. I've always been able to send DVDs and CDs and such via media mail.

bookarts
13 years ago
Beat me to it, bookarts! I was just about to post the same thing.
Maureen
13 years ago
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I will just skip doing magazines then. Not worth the hassle. Luckily I wasn't charged any extra fees - our local post office is good about just sending it back to me! Thanks so much! :)
Cheri
13 years ago
I don't get it. Printed material such as magazines are not allowed?
Is this really correct? I have told the post office when i am sending musicCD's and movies (in ebay) and gotten media mail rates so that is definately allowed. I thought any written material (such as office documents) were considered media as well.
Tikay
13 years ago
Anything with paid advertising is out, which is why you can't send magazines. Books and movies may have ads sometimes but they are for the publishers' and studios' own product, so they don't count that.

Office documents are definitely not considered media mail. Media is typically considered to be books, magazines, newspapers, tv, movies, music, etc. But in terms of media mail, they only accept media without paid advertising.

bookarts
13 years ago