BookMooch logo

home browse about join login
?

What a shame!

It was such a shame to be told that membership would start costing $$; I am pretty strapped for cash and that's why I joined the site. I loved it though, especially the forums, and I'm still on it as active as possible (5 more days until they kick me out, and I'm going to make the most of it!). The announcement of paid membership was in fact the reason I joined BookMooch in the first place (I'm a new member, yup.)

Dana
9 years ago
16 comments

Recent comments:[write a comment]
(8 years ago)I'm a refugee from paperbackswap.com myself!
abe
(8 years ago)Ani, just FYI, PBS does not require mailing the day that you get the request. You have five days to respond to the request. Then you can choose from two options: "I can mail now" means that you're able to mail within two days of confirming. The other option, "mail later" lets you choose a date in the future that you can mail by - I believe the farthest out is a week. So you've got nearly two weeks that you can go between receiving a request and the send-by date. You also don't have to pay for an annual membership at PBS. You can choose to be an a la carte member and pay a small fee each time you request a book. If you don't want to pay any fees at all, Bookmooch is a better option for you, but it's not as busy and it's harder to get the books you want. (I'm a happy member of both sites, but hate to see incorrect information floating around.)
LauraTS
(8 years ago)I am yet another person who came to bookmooch because I was dissatisfied with paperbackswap, but for me, I just discovered this small hidden facet of the internet, and when I went to paperbackswap, they said at first I would have to pay only postage; but then I had to pay for membership, and then they tell me that I must ship the day I get the request! I can't afford that; I have to budget it in. I was very glad to have the leeway offered here!
Ani Welch
(8 years ago)nomoredriven, There is a way to gift member with points. I'm not sure exactly how, but I do know it can be done, someone just gave me some. I think if you go to your page and click on charity, that might get you somewhere.
Kat. T
(8 years ago)Another PBS refugee.... I love the idea of FREE swapping. I don't mind paying for the postage, but paying for a membership ..blah! I'd rather put up with advertising and have the ability to donate $ when I have it. Yay for finding this place... I'm hoping the available books keep expanding.
Dave Reavces
(8 years ago)Yes, PBS is a big disappointment now, but there are some things they had that I can't find here... can't figure out if I can gift points to other members. Also, REALLY would like a time limit for senders. They can choose whenever to send? 4 months from now? C'mon!
nomoredrivin
(8 years ago)Hey cool, I read the title of this discussion and though Oh No, people are leaving Bookmooch for Paperback Swap, I am excited to see that it is the opposite! I have been away from Bookmooch for a while, was on Paperback swap but never actually had any activity. I hope the Bookmooch Forums get more active.
Danielle
(8 years ago)Yep! I e-mailed them and said I was done. I had nothing going out or coming in at the moment, so had to re-input all the books that were only on PBS, but it allowed me to send out over 50 books. I also use Titletrader, but they're not very active. Bookmooch is the BEST!
Leslie
(9 years ago)I am also a refugee from Paperback Swap. I was most unhappy with their sudden charges after years of membership. Posted my books here when I joined, had two requests before I even finished posting the books. Forgot to look for 2 days and had TWELVE requests when I looked next! Holy Cow - I didn't get 12 requests in 6 months with Paperback Swap. Glad to be gone from there and I am sure that Paperback Swap will not be growing as they were - quite the opposite.
booklover909
(9 years ago)I've already begun receiving books from this site and so far my experience is about the same. I certainly like the site enough to stay and my PBS acct will soon be gone.
(9 years ago)Also part of the Exodus. 50 cents might not seem like a lot of money but according to their own statistics 33,387 books have been sent in the past week. That's a good 17k a week just from the 50 cent fee. I understand people need to be payed but they arn't providing much of a service, just connecting people to exchange books.
Asher
(9 years ago)I made the switch also from Paperbackswap. Had been a happy member for years but $ is tight and I liked it being free. It has worked out good thus far since I am getting lots of requests for books that had been sitting on my Paperbackswap list for months. I am glad I found this site !
Tandy Brown
(9 years ago)That's why I've come over. If a site is going to charge, I'd rather schlep books to local used bookstores. The free swapping is what keeps me interested. Am slowly going to migrate wants and haves over here. I think many will follow.
Michael
(9 years ago)bookit4u, I bet a lot of people will be heading over here or to booksfreeswap. I've found a few things here that I've requested. We'll see how things work out.
(9 years ago)You can stay at no charge but just pay 49 cents for each book you order, but you don't have any access to anything else, I opted for the $12 for one year to see what happens, I have spent so much money on postage that I offered a book deal and someone ordered every book I had so right now I don't have any books but I think WL books are all I'm going to post from now on, I have so many points to use on PBS and here that I doubt I can use them all, I can't find much on this site as it doesn't seem to offer much in the way of anything new, and I can't find a lot of authors listed here that I'd like to try so I've resorted going to the library and they can get books for me for $1(rent I guess). I also belong to booksfreeswap.com, it is one that the receiver pays the postage but you don't get anything in return it's just a good way to share your books with others but at times it can be really slow, I'd like to see more activity on that site too.
bookit4u
(9 years ago)Also part of the PBS exodus. Someone over on goodreads mentioned this site. Good to see you over here too. :)